There are three levels of Clinical Certification which can be defined as follows:
1. A Student level is for someone enrolled in a graduate program actively pursuing education and training to use in sexual addiction counseling. It is understood that during the course of their education they will meet the education requirements for clinical certification.
2. An Intern level certification is for someone who has completed their educational requirements and is in the supervision process for clinical certification.
3. Full Clinical Certification – Certified Clinical Sexual Addiction Specialist (CCSAS)
There are three ways to obtain this certification.
1. Complete the course: Multidimensional Trauma Model Treatment of Addicts, Partners, and Relationships. More information will be available shortly on upcoming trainings and dates. Please complete the contact form on the website and we will add you to our email list and notify you when trainings are coming.
2. If you are a Certified Sexual Addiction Therapist (CSAT) with Dr. Patrick Carnes, fill out the appropriate application and sign the statement of faith. Enclose all items on the application form checklist. Email or contact us for the application.
Clinical Experience for CCSAS
The applicant must obtain and document 125 hours of clinical experience in the field of sexual addiction and/or spouses/partners/families of addicts counseling. This can be done in individual, marital, family, or group therapy in which the main focus is treating sexual addiction and/or co-addiction.
The applicant must document 30 hours of supervision with an approved supervisor. A list of supervisors is available on our web site. Ten hours must be face-to-face supervision.
Supervision opportunities for face-to-face supervision are frequently provided in intensive formats where you can come to a supervisor and do most of these hours in one setting. Supervision opportunities are frequently offered around the country as well. Check the web site for supervision and training opportunities. Face-to-face supervision can also take place via webcam with proper equipment.
Other supervision can take place via telephone conferencing. If you believe that there is a qualified supervisor who is not on our list, email a letter to IACSAS (email@example.com) with the supervisor application form and include a copy of the prospective supervisor’s vitae, experience, and contact information.
You will be notified of the status within 30 days of receipt of these materials. Following completion of education, clinical, and supervision requirements, the applicant will fill out the appropriate application which can be downloaded from the website.